Monday, July 5, 2021

Luddite

 

Luddite: a person opposed to new technology, or ways of working.

    (DEROGATORY) – "a small-minded Luddite, resisting progress"


Well, now let me remember – it was in 1960 that I bought my first pickup truck. Half ton, long bed, three on the tree.

I like that combination, and have migrated through several newer trucks of the same configuration.

Recently considered trading in my current truck on a newer one.

Visited a dealer. Drove my old truck home and affectionately patted it on the hood after I parked it.

New models scare me. Apart from the outrageous price, the technology has run away from me.

It seems that the designers of the newest airplanes have taken over the design of new trucks.

With a lifetime of maintaining and repairing my vehicles, I raised the hood on a new truck and gazed – with wonderment – at the maze of confusion that is involved in propelling the vehicle.

And sitting behind the steering wheel I was intimidated – among other things, by the dash mounted television screen that dominates the driver’s field of vision. I await news coverage of the lawsuit ensuing from the collision that results when a driver is distracted by whatever show comes on.

Rather than spend $50,000 for an earthbound aircraft I shall search for and buy a decent 1975 model Chevrolet pickup with three on the tree -- and pay a good mechanic to install a new motor and rebuild the brakes and suspension.

My dismay at the evolution of automotive technology is matched by my frustration with my new computer. I have been driving a computer since 1985. I am comfortable with them. I have adapted to the newness of each succeeding new model, migrating from DOS though versions of Windows.

But never have I found a challenge to equal that of the newest.

Not only new hardware, with all of its oriental design of novel capabilities of questionable practicality – but complicated by the crazy nuances of Windows 10.

Would that I could buy a new computer with windows 7…. that I could turn on and drive, the way I could drive my old stick shift pickup.


Strange, that I should see a parallel between a truck and a computer – but the analysis, and conclusion, is that there are too many “improvements” that might better have been left on the cutting room floor.


And if that ain’t enough – I have, in addition, the privilege of getting acquainted with a new phone…

New, in the sense that I just upgraded from a 2014 model phone to a 2016 model.

But again, I long for the simplicity of a three speed manual transmission. Too many hidden features on this newer phone, many of them needing to be disabled. And responsible for performance problems if ignored.


I often reminisce, longing for the simplicity of days long gone.


While not quite a Luddite, I do remember the “good old days.”

No comments:

Weather or not . . .

  Words that come unbidden to mind include paranormal . ..supernatural . . .  ridiculous . . . The first instance I observed while following...