Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Why I Write

 WHY I WRITE


“Better to write for yourself and have no public,

than to write for the public and have no self.”

         Cyril Connolly, critic and editor (1903-1974)



One man that I know decided he wanted to be a writer; therefore did he sit at his desk with paper and pen and try to think of something to write.

In contrast I felt that I had something to share, something to say, something to tell other people — and therefore did I take up pen and paper and proceed to write ...

                              Billy Mitchell, 2017




From the blog of my friend Debbie:

“... I think perhaps another reason, as all blog writers can relate to, is knowing that not many people are actually reading your posts.  But then I look at old posts and realize that I'm really writing this for me.”

                                                 DH



“So long as I remain alive and well, I shall continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the Earth, and to take pleasure in solid objects and scraps of useless information.” 

                                 George Orwell, "Why I Write" 



The thing that drove him (Dickens) forward into a form of art for which he was not really suited was simply the fact that he was a moralist, the consciousness of ‘having something to say’. He is always preaching a sermon, and that is the final secret of his inventiveness. For you can only create if you can care.

                            George Orwell,  "Charles Dickens" (1939)


1 comment:

Debbie said...

I think it's true...we write for ourselves with the hope that someone will be interested in what we have to say. Woo hoo I'm quoted alongside the greats! Thank you! :)

Weather or not . . .

  Words that come unbidden to mind include paranormal . ..supernatural . . .  ridiculous . . . The first instance I observed while following...