Sunday, October 2, 2022

WORDSMITH

 WORDSMITH

I read an article in our local newspaper decrying the improper use of words, usually do to the simularity of the intended word to the one that was used. Its not uncommon for their to be some confusion, since some of the words are spelled a lot a like, By common usage their is a blurred definition for any word that makes it's meaning uncertain. 

Ruth offered to loan me her dictionary, but I deferred. I don't want you to think I'm trying to infer to you that I am so smart I don't need one, but I have one of my own hear at home.

The usage of some words is changing. Its a normal evolution, and is examplified by reading the "English" that was used by Chaucer in "The Canterbury Tales".

To some of us the common usages that are seen in newspapers and herd on television great on the nerves, because of the emphasis that was placed on learning the proper meaning and use of the English language in our schooling.

I want to convince you to help me compile a list of the words most often used incorrectly. More importantly I'd like you to count the words in this short essay that are used wrongly; either in form, inflection or word choice. If I can persuade you that there rite I’ll be surprised.

I don't know what affect this will have on you. It doesn't effect me to right it. An heresy testimony is inadmissible, anyway. 

And if you contradict the beliefs of my Sunday church sermon I will regard it as heresay, and you as a hearetic.

No comments:

Weather or not . . .

  Words that come unbidden to mind include paranormal . ..supernatural . . .  ridiculous . . . The first instance I observed while following...