Sunday, August 8, 2021

Too Young ??

 

I am a dinosaur. A relic. A fossil.

Society is striding forward, into the future.

I lag behind. Indifferent – no, not indifferent, for that implies a lack of caring – and my deficiency is not absence of concern. Simply a need for education.

I do not understand the elements of society’s progress.

I was young once. Then, as I entered the mainstream of society I found myself with children who were, in their turn, young.

And in the encompassed years, beginning in 1940, I observed and participated in a routine that seemed, at the time, reasonable and practicable:

Children at the age of six entered the educational system in the first grade.

The parental duties having been initially fulfilled, the young future adults had received guidance and preliminary indoctrination that prepared them for entry into the public school system.

Today I am informed that children of 3, 4, and 5 years are to begin school.

I am aghast. To my perception that is unreasonable.

I see problems. I understand the implied question. But I don’t have any hint of an answer.


Perhaps it would be acceptable to remove the year old toddlers from the parental home and enroll them in a collective pool of subjects for indoctrination …??


Google presents this:

Most preschools start accepting kids around the age of 2.5 to 3 years old, but since every child is different, this isn't a magic number. Preschool readiness really depends more on developmental factors than chronological age.


“Developmental readiness” at 30 months?  Are you kidding?

Somebody, please, help me ...


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It's all about programming at the earliest age possible.

Weather or not . . .

  Words that come unbidden to mind include paranormal . ..supernatural . . .  ridiculous . . . The first instance I observed while following...